Aspiehelp is a peer support organisation, in other words, all our staff have Asperger Syndrome! We rely entirely on the kindness of charitable organisations, plus donations from people using our services, to be able to function and pay our staff. There is no automatic "government support"- in fact, the Government refuses to collect data about people on the Autism Spectrum, (presumably) so that our needs can be ignored- a bit like the little known "fact" that there are no Autistic adults in Russia-- they simply "age out of the system"!
People who have "Lived Experience" of Asperger Syndrome are- simply- in our entirely and unashamedly biased opinions- the best people to sort through your difficulties, explain apparently inexplicable problems, advocate for you where necessary and walk with you on the next part of your life journey.
There are a few precious exceptions among the "neurotypical" population, but by and large, we find other Aspies feel great relief when they find others who, while not "just like them" are near enough to induce a wonderful feeling of "welcome home, you are not alone in this world"!
Here are some of the things we offer:
* Pre- and post- diagnostic assessment and support. The first consultation is $75 where possible. Negotiation on ways of payment for this are welcome.
* Information, social work services, mentoring, advocacy and peer support, counselling, workplace preparation, training and mentoring.
* Consultancy (online or in person).
* A Facebook page (Aspiehelp Christchurch NZ) and links to other good Aspie FB pages.
* Use of our specialist library for further information.
* Peer support meetings twice a month. (These are almost always provided by 2 peer-support workers). * Formal training and practical workshops can be arranged to suit your own requirements.
We do expect that new clients become "members" of Aspiehelp as an absolute minimum. We must show to funding organisations that we are in fact serving a community, so the numbers should reflect this.
Please see our list of fees for more information on membership and session costs.
Any donations, however small, are always welcome. Our evening peer support meetings require us to pay a modest rental to the Library we use, so "Miss Piggy" is always on the table to receive whatever people can afford/would like to give.
Addresses to interested groups are charged at $100.00 per hour.
We also liaise with other professional services to provide a "wrap-around" Social Work Service. We can assist to some degree in finding accommodation and also recommending educational courses, support services and lots of useful books.